A Month of Brave Connection
The coronavirus has touched everyone in some way, separating us, causing loss and uncertainty, preventing us from celebrating or even grieving together. Yet it has also brought us closer through shared sacrifice and helping each other. Many of us are realizing how disconnected we had become from our families, neighbors and communities. We all want our nation to open again, but we also want to keep our hearts open and create stronger relationships and communities than we had before.
As people join the video call, let’s say hello and chat for a few minutes until all have arrived. Here are some tips for making our video call go smoothly:
- Turn on your video if you can, so we can see each other
- Use a headset or earbuds if you have them
- Call in by phone separately (and mute your computer) if your internet is unsteady
Introduce yourself with your name, where you live and answer one of these questions:
- What is one thing about you that a person wouldn’t be able to tell by looking at you?
- Who do you admire most in your life and why?
Our time together
Let’s agree on how we will show up to create an atmosphere for open, honest conversation. We can read these aloud and remind each other, if we need to.
Stay fully present
- Avoid checking messages, email or any other distractions
Listen first with curiosity
- Don’t try to convince anyone of anything. Our purpose is to understand
- Share the air. Step back and give others a chance to be heard
- We are all on our own journeys and shaped by our experiences. Let’s give each other the benefit of the doubt and be patient if the tech gets glitchy.
Share one or two words that describe how you are feeling during the pandemic.
An Earlier Challenging Time
We all have endured challenges. One of the assumptions of this conversation is that we grow from overcoming difficulty, that we learn from adversity, and that we have stronger bonds from going through shared hardship. Who wants to share a story?
- Describe when you have faced a challenge in life before, how you got through it and what lessons or strengths you may have gained from it.
What has pandemic life been like for you?
Let’s go around the group and respond to both of these questions.
- What, if anything, has been hard for you during this period?
- What, if anything, has given you happiness during this period?
Lessons from This Experience
From what we shared about the good and bad of the pandemic...
- Is there something about yourself or your community you learned that makes you want to live differently as we re-open?
- Let’s take a group photo/screenshot to remember this talk
- Do we want to meet again to continue the conversation?
Let’s go around one last time:
- Share something you are taking from today’s conversation and a step you might take to be part of a more connected community after Covid.
* * * * * *
Thanks for being part of a Month of Brave Connection
Click here to quickly rate the value of today’s conversation
Tell others about our conversation on social using #WeavingCommunity